Wednesday, August 15, 2018

2018 李国彰谈他的书法情结

新加坡管理学院总裁李国彰跟我们分析他的书法情结。
他的日本籍夫人玉村幸子也在学书法。


Reflections on my Chinese Calligraphy Experience
Dr Lee Kwok Cheong

I grew up in Hong Kong in a Chinese dialect (Cantonese) speaking environment. The schools I attended used both English and Cantonese as medium of teaching. So you can say I was both Chinese and English-educated, or neither!

For universities, I went to USA.  I did not plan this intentionally, but as a foreign student who did not belong, I felt the urge to re-discover my Chinese roots, and read rapaciously everything on Chinese. The irony was in US, I had access to a much bigger collection of Chinese books than I could find in Hong Kong! I spent many hours on books I borrowed from the Boston Public Library and Harvard 燕京 LibraryA fun example was uncensored 真本金瓶梅, which would not be available in China or Hong Kong in the 1970s.

So I know Chinese language and culture and history as well as the Chinese-educated in Singapore, and it is a pity I cannot carry on a conversation with them in Mandarin.

Now back to Chinese calligraphy. I cannot remember clearly now, but I am sure I was required to copy 顏真卿 and 柳公權大揩 in primary school. My heart was not in it (under a bad teacher), and I was not good at it.

In secondary school, it was not required, but in one year my Chinese teacher insisted we practised calligraphy in class once a week. I did not like my writing, so I “cheated” by copying on top of the 王献之小揩帖 in secret. The teacher thought my calligraphy was very good!

In university around 1975-77, I got into the habit of copying Chinese texts I liked using a blue fountain pen.  I would paste them on the wall in my dormitory room so I was literally surrounded by my own fountain pen calligraphy!  I did not learn from any teacher or master. I just wrote to capture my feelings. At that time I thought my fountain pen calligraphy was elegant! 井底蛙!

40+ years later, I find a few pages of 道德經 still preserved in a book, and many letters I wrote to 2 friends over the years which they kept!  They might be the only people other than myself who thought my fountain pen calligraphy beautiful.

I stopped writing in Chinese around 1996, when I started writing everything on the computer using English. Around 2010, SIM (where I work) Recreation Club arranged for Mr Wong Joon Tai to conduct calligraphy class during lunch break once a week. That was when I started to pick up a brush again after so many decades. Most other participants could not persist due to work pressure, and the class discontinued after a few months.

Fast forward to late 2013 - I had an unexpected and a very major cancer surgery, and I was in a bad state physically and emotionally.  My earlier exposure to taiji, meditation, and calligraphy made me turned to them for therapeutic purpose.

I knew Mr Wong when we were both at the National Computer Board in the 1980s but I did not know Mr Wong was such a Chinese calligraphy master! The SIM class led me to inquire whether he was still teaching in 2014. Little did I know Mr Wong was not just teaching; he was devoting his life to raising the interest and standard of Chinese calligraphy!

So I started coming to Catholic High Saturday morning “class” from Apr 2014. A big bonus is my Japanese wife Sachiko accompanied me and developed her own interest, and is continuing the endless journey on learning Chinese calligraphy with me.

After 4+ years, how has my experience been? The first word that comes to my mind is “frustrating”! I thought I was quite good and would progress well and fast. Instead, I had so many bad habits from self-taught penmanship I needed a long time to unlearn. And I have not yet quite relearned. I struggled with ink, paper, and brush.  I found my writing quite amateurish. I am falling behind others in the class.

But in my heart I know (1) I am just not practising enough (as I am working more than full-time, often the only time I can practise is during the Saturday class); (2) I am progressing, just slowly and sometimes 2 steps forward 1 step backward; (3) I did not focus on the fundamentals of the brush strokes at the beginning and I need to go back to basics.

In short, I have hope! And I am counting on after retirement (next year latest), I can devote more time and get more visible improvements.

Back to my 2014 original intention, I certainly find Chinese calligraphy meditative and helped my slow recovery. And for that alone, I am very happy I started the journey.

I am also inspired by Mr Wong’s mastery and dedication. With a teacher like Mr Wong, we just have to keep going!  同学們,加油!


No comments:

Post a Comment