Thursday, July 30, 2015

林炎增:英校生的翰墨缘 Lim Ien Cheng:English Language. Chinese Strokes

Why would an English educated, almost Chinese illiterate person be interested in Chinese Calligraphy? Here is how I went with the flow of ink, brushes and rice paper.

"You can buy the ink, the rice paper, the brush, but if you don't cultivate the art of calligraphy, you can't do calligraphy."
-      Vietenamese Zen teacher and mindful calligrapher, Thich Nhat Hanh

“The beauty of Chinese calligraphy is essentially the beauty of movement, like the coordinated movements of a skillfully composed dance: impulse, momentum, momentary poise, and the interplay of active forces combine to form a balanced whole.”                                         - Chinese Calligrapher


Formative Years

Growing up in an English speaking family, the Mandarin language was never heard at home. And in school we would avoid these Chinese speaking ones as they usually break into dialects and often get loud and rowdy.

Second Language was just secondary

Chinese was a second language for us and it remained secondary then and Chinese lessons were much dreaded and just a big yawn. I figured it was the teacher who did not make learning Chinese interesting or that the teaching system was simply not effective. 无药可救 were the last words from my Chinese Language teacher who obviously had given up on me.

Against the odds I managed a pass in Chinese at my O levels examinations. Even then it wasn’t something I was proud of. English and Art were my favourite subjects and there weren’t any stimulus for me in regards to the Chinese Language. The sloppily spoken mandarin language here in Singapore wasn’t a motivation for me. Except for a few bilingual friends who would curl their tongues when teaching me the right way of pronouncing words like  ’’ and ““.

Sources of influence

Getting acquainted with some mainland Chinese friends  and watching Chinese productions like Professor Yu Dan introduction to Zhuangzi and Confucius, together with made-in-China art-house movies, Chinese folk art like Papercutting , Wood carved panels and even Guqing (古筝) music got me more interested in  the Chinese culture. It was a refreshing shower of culture, history and arts with each visit to China. Tea appreciation and opera theatres really stimulated my senses of being Chinese. Interestingly I never felt the same interest with Taiwanese mandarin.  Art have always been an important part of me as I studied design and graduated to become an Art Director in an advertising agency. Western typography, hand scripting and Chinese calligraphy have always interest me even when the Chinese language didn’t.

I remember a documentary that featured a European artist who was mimicking the strokes of a Chinese master painter. The lines and strokes she painted were very impressive, but when the master was asked to appraise her standard, the master paused and said “your strokes are artistic and nice but lacks the profound spirit that embodies a Chinese painting because you have no foundation of Chinese calligraphy!”  Since then, I have decided to pursue Chinese calligraphy one day. Due to my lack of the Chinese language ability I almost decided against it, but found out that the course accommodates non-Chinese speaking students.  Exposure to Chinese Buddhism and meditation helped me connect with the process and the flow which are the very essence of Chinese calligraphy.

Working with Chinese concepts

In the course of my work, whether in creating a Chinese product or company name and design of the pack or brandmark, a certain understanding of the Chinese culture and language is essential. I have created a contemporary poster symbolising “平安”, an east-west fusion design, garnered me a design award. Lately I am applying calligraphic strokes to my design work. I would definitely encourage any non-Chinese literates to take up Chinese Calligraphy if they have the interest.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, may I know where you took lessons in Chinese calligraphy?

    ReplyDelete